Background

Sunday, October 12, 2014

DIY Vapor Rub and Tabs

My husband is coming down with the same stuff I had a few weeks ago (Head Cold). He applies the oils one time and expects to be better immediately. I explain to him that he has to reapply throughout the day. It's like medicine in the aspect of wearing off and needing application every 1-2 hours. He's horrible about reapplying.

I have noticed if there is a jar premixed with organic coconut oil, he is much more likely to reapply. Why? I have no idea. I personally find roller bottles much more convenient. To each their own, I guess.  


I decided today to make him some homemade "Vapor Rub" and "Vapor Tabs" for the shower. I have not tried anything like this before and I must say it was extremely easy!


Vapor Rub:


I find it easier to place the solid coconut oil in the jar (4 oz), then place it in the microwave for a few seconds to melt (does not have to be completely liquid).Take it out of the microwave and allow it to cool down. Be careful not to allow it to get solid again.


Once the coconut oil cooled off. I added:


20 drops Eucalyptus

10 drops Lavender
10 drops Rosemary

Stir Gently or you can place the lid back on the jar and shake (kids love that part).


Vapor Tabs:


Yields 12 Tabs


Mix the following together in a bowl.


2 cups baking soda

2/3 cup of water + 2-4 tablespoons (as needed)

These are approximate measurements. I'm one of those that doesn't measure a lot of things. The consistency should be a paste.


At this point I would suggest using either the foil cupcake liners or use the silicone cupcake pan. Let me just tell you, the paper ones don't work so great! Fill your liners up with the baking soda/water mixture. Bake at 350 for approx. 20 minutes.


Pull them out of the oven and let cool. Once cool, I added generous amounts of essential oils to the top and bottom of each tab. I only added oils to a couple of them. On the rest we will add the oils to them right before shower time.


The oils I used are:


5-10 drops of each Eucalyptus, Lavender, and Rosemary.


I store mine in a gallon sized Ziploc bag. Any air tight container will work.


*** Most recipes ask you to mix in the essential oils prior to baking. I am always afraid that it will lessen the effectiveness, so I add it to the tabs once they are cooled and ready for use.


This seemed to work really well. I have never used the Vick's brand shower tabs, so I can't really compare it for you. Sorry about that. However, my hubby has reported that he feels much better and he can breathe out of both sides of his nose. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment